Merchant designs informational materials and training programs to help reduce pesticide use and promote use of low-impact pesticides for schools and other institutional facilities. He develops training materials and continuing education programs on pests and integrated pest management for the public. His research interests include control of fire ants in electrical equipment and in urban landscapes; low-impact pesticides; spider management; documentation of Formosan termite range expansion in Texas; and improvement of existing termite control technologies.
Areas of Expertise
- Extension urban arthropods/consumer pesticides
- Management of arthropod pests affecting human health
- Integrated pest management systems for institutions
- Landscape pest management
- Pesticide applicator training